Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 115 (Tuesday) - 2 Kings 23:10-25; 1 Chronicles 1:1-16


The end of 2 Kings is a sad story to me. Josiah did everything right, but it really didn’t matter. The sins of the people were so great that God had already decided to get rid of Judah. Even though Josiah did everything he could, the people were doomed. God said he would not forgive them. Fairness has never been one of my issues. I don’t believe things are fair and I don’t immediately expect things to be done fairly. But when I read about what Josiah did it feels unfair, if not for the people as a whole, then for Josiah himself. Josiah does all this good and the goes out to fight against Egypt and Assyria and he gets killed. I’m not sure I could serve God like Josiah did if I knew that my actions were not going to matter in the long run. This passage really accentuates the need for a Savior. Jesus was needed because we cannot appease God with our words or actions. Sin requires punishment.

1 comment:

  1. Josiah must have known God in a way that everything else didn't matter - only what would be pleasing to God. I am so thankful we do have a Savior -- I would never measure up!

    (I'm slowly catching up - but I've been reading the blogs as I do. Thanks for being faithful!)

    ReplyDelete