Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 231 (Saturday) – Isaiah 50-54


Some people are quick to cite that some calamity or disaster is a result of God’s judgment on a people. I can remember hearing it said that the Twin Towers fell on 911 because of America’s sin and recently I heard that the earthquake in Haiti was a result of the sin the Haitian people committed when they made a pact with the Devil 200 years ago.

Who are we to claim to know God’s judgment on any specific people group or nation? These comments are foolish, unless God has placed us in the role of prophet like he did with Isaiah. As I read the Scriptures I see that we all will receive our just reward for following or ignoring God. But in chapter 50 it seems that God is judging the people. It takes confession and repentance to get right with God again. I was fascinated when I read that the Haitian people were holding a day of prayer and asking for forgiveness. Does this confirm the claims of others?

No matter what the reason, tragedy and suffering create an opportunity to reflect and reevaluate our lives. The key is staying close and connected to God in the good and the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment