Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 36 (Sunday) - Leviticus 15:1-18:18


I am struck on this Sunday that the Scriptures forbid the drinking of blood because the life is in the blood. This by itself seems like just another protective limitation to ward off the possibility of spreading a blood borne pathogen or other disease. But today it hits me a bit differently. Jesus has asked us to drink his blood…it’s part of the communion instructions. There were parts of the sacrifice that were unique and special and they remind me of Jesus’ words:

John 6:53-57 (NLT)
(53) So Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you cannot have eternal life within you. (54) But anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise that person at the last day. (55) For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. (56) Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. (57) I live because of the living Father who sent me; in the same way, anyone who feeds on me will live because of me.


The 5th Sunday in August is Communion Sunday. Even now, prepare yourself for the great privilege you have as a redeemed child of God as a result of the sacrifice of Christ. As you symbolically drink his blood you share in the richness of his life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry this didn't get posted yesterday. I didn;t check the actual blog and I only saved it as a draft instead of making it live...sorry.

    ReplyDelete