Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 37 (Monday) - Leviticus 18:19-21:24


I’ll be honest with you today. I don’t like these chapters. I don’t like the tone of them and I know that sounds strange. I don’t want to be one of those teachers that just try to explain away the difficulties or try to tell you that it is a different era (New Testament vs Old Testament). God does not change. I agree that the way we observe or practice holy living may change, but the character of God does not change.

I like things like 19:9-10 because it has a great message for us to allow those with less to share in our abundance. But then in chapter 20, everyone is put to death for all kinds of reasons. Some just killed and others burned. Sure, the list is rough, but death? This isn’t eye for an eye kind of thing, it’s a disobey God and die kind of thing. This is the part of God none of us like. This is the heaven and hell reality.

God is God and he does not require us to agree with his ways. He is a holy and just God and if he says do this and live or do that and die, that’s just the way it will be. What do you think about these verses? We may want only the warm and fuzzy parts, but that’s not God.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed today's reading however it leaves me wondering... Are we all suppose to have beards?(19:27) Help me out here Doug cause I like a clean shave. I was also struck by verse (19:17) as you know what we are still dealing with doug...Thanks for all your insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still today, the Jewish men wear "earlocks" to obey this command.

    Check this out: http://www.hebrew4christians.net/Glossary/Hebrew_Glossary_-_E/hebrew_glossary_-_e.html

    I agree that verse 17 is a tough one. It kind of goes along with Jesus' statement that we are to forgive someone 77 X 7! Only through time and the Spirit is it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding Leviticus to be some tough reading. Lot's of rules with lots of "Do this or else..."

    I get it, but sometimes find myself thinking I'm reading the same thing over and over.
    Does anyone else feel this way?

    Genesis, good... Exodus.... good, Leviticus.Hmmmm. I think I would have been one of the fools asking questions and not following directions as close as I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Leviticus is dry and repetitive. It’s is a priestly manual for worship and was used as such. Can you believe that this was all memorized and taught to the next generations through oral traditions? Now that would be tough!

    ReplyDelete