Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 104 (Friday) - 1 Kings 11:26-13:34


There are so many stories in the Bible that are unbelievably strange. This is unquestionably one of them. No names are given but we have two prophets. The old one, that we would assume is wiser, ends up being the one to deceive the other prophet with a lie. He claims God said something to him that God never said. The result is shocking…the old deceiving prophet lives and the other man, who seems less at fault, is killed by a lion. Wow!

I have been on the receiving end of spiritual manipulation. I can remember a man telling my wife that an illness she had was not being healed because God told him she had a lack of faith! He also told me I was not where God needed me to be…he ended up being dead wrong.

I am always leery when people tell me what God is telling them, especially when it goes against God’s word to me. I hear God through Scripture, not in dreams or burning bushes. If you have a message for me from God, it had better line up with his written word or else I won’t come eat at your home!

2 comments:

  1. Jeff and I have had several people over the years tell us they have a word from God for us - "God showed me this for you" and quote scripture. Actually, what they tell us lines up with God's word (verses about the truth setting him free; God loves justice and hates oppression; setting prisoners free - we've heard them all). But apparently those were not words from God for us - at this time - because here we "sit," in the same spot, physically, almost 16 years later. People have abandoned us because they believe we have done something wrong, we don't have enough faith, or we have been lying to them because God didn't do for us what THEY told us He would. Knowing when it is God speaking, and having that personal relationship with Him so you can hear His voice directly (and you're right - it better not contradict God's word either!) is what we rely on. He really has never spoken to us that Jeff will have His physical freedom - just to rely on Him and we try our best to do that. It is hard though to have your brothers and sisters in the Lord doubt you because God doesn't do what they think He should.

    Sorry - I think I got a bit off topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug, I have a message from God for you: 'Love You'. I think I got that right... oh wait, that was actually what I was thinking...but I'm pretty sure God agrees.

    ReplyDelete