Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 26 (Thursday) - Exodus 28-29


Two chapters on the dress and dedication of the priests. I've always wondered what would happen if I showed up on a Sunday in this garb...I'm sure I would get some strange looks to say the least. It is interesting that many pastors/priests still wear something to separate them from the congregation, something like this outfit that sets them apart (holy) from the group. I am not your priest and I do not need to be holy from you for we are a holy people together. Jesus is our priest and he is set apart. I am one of you. Now God has given me the gift and privilege to teach...but it could just have easily been you. there is nothing more holy or extra special about me.

The part of these chapters I like the best, as well as the part that has always intrigued me, is the Urim and Thummim. These are two stones that the priest used to determine God’s will. That is so cool! I seriously wish I had a set of those. I mean to toss some dice to see if God would give a yes or no…that would be awesome. The problem is I’m not your priest so I’ve got no magical dice. Jesus is our priest and he stands in the gap for us. He is the one who hears our prayers and mediates on our behalf. Now I don’t think he is up there tossing the Urim and Thummim around like a giant game of Yahtzee, but he is hearing and answering your prayers. Is it time to take a moment to talk to your priest today?

No comments:

Post a Comment