Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 79 (Monday) - Judges 17:1-20:11


I’m not sure my moral compass can discern who is more right and who is more wrong. Can you imagine being that man’s wife/concubine? “No, don’t rape these men I just met, take her!” Then they shove her out the door. To me, the blood is on both of their hands. I am frustrated with the passages that treat women like property. I have to remember, just like with Jephthah, just because the text does not always say something is wrong, does not mean we are to read that it is right. I think it’s good that this act united the tribes but you think someone might have asked, “Soooo, how exactly did this take place?”

1 comment:

  1. In reading these scriptures you see just how depraved people can be and that nothing is new under the son. Given the chance we seem to be able to mess things up even when we are trying to do things right. It also shows how important the right leaders are - Dan had no leader/king and the people would be asking God to bless them and then build and worship idols at the same time. I have to admit today that I am trying to "spiritualize" this and see where I do the same thing... How many times do I say to God - I will follow you and want to serve you, but do not completely rid myself of my idols. I am SOOOOO thankful for grace and God's unending love - I need it!

    ReplyDelete